Matchday Guide

A handy and informative guide for visitors to Chelmsford City Football Club.

Directions & Parking


Chelmsford City Football Club, Salerno Way, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 2EH

The football ground is located to the north west of the city and is easily accessible from all directions. If in doubt, head towards one of the city's landmarks, the tower block, which is right next to the ground!

From the NORTH, take the M11 south towards Bishop's Stortford and then the A120 east towards Chelmsford. Exit at Great Dunmow at head south-west on the B1008, which will eventually bring you into Chelmsford via Broomfield past the hospital. Take the right opposite the library and follow signs to the football ground.

From the SOUTH, exit the M25 at junction 28 for the A12. Leave the A12 at junction 14 at Margaretting and follow Margaretting Road to Writtle. Keep heading north past Writtle College and then right onto the A1060 briefly, left onto Chignal Road then right onto Melbourne Avenue past the park.

From the EAST, head to Chelmsford either via the A120 or A12. If on the A12, leave at junction 19 and head through Springfield. Specific directions are similar to those from the north.

From the WEST, if coming around the M25, leave at junction 28 for the A12 and follow the instructions from the south above. If coming down the M11, see instructions from the north.

Chelmsford Railway Station is served by the London Liverpool Street to Ipswich main line. In order to make a 15:00pm Saturday kick-off the latest train you should catch from London Liverpool Street by no later than is 12:45pm to comfortably make kick-off and the same applies from Ipswich. To make a midweek 19:45pm kick-off, leave London Liverpool Street by no later than 18:15pm and Ipswich by 18:00pm.

The number 54 and 56 buses run a regular service every ten to fifteen minutes, departing from the Bus Station, which is situated on the left hand side of Duke Street just after the viaduct. Your journey should take around fifteen minutes from this point.

There is a taxi rank at the rear of the station. Local taxi firms include Chelmsford Taxis (01245 335555), Chelmer Valley Cars (01245 465465) and Fareway Taxis (01245 355555), though many others are available.


There is limited parking at the stadium, with around 100 spaces available in total (though many are reserved). Ample on-street parking is available within a 10 minute walk of the ground, though the club request supporters parking on public roads take note of any restrictions that may be in place and are thoughtful of residents when doing so.


The turnstiles at Melbourne Stadium only accept cash. If you don't have cash, there are ATMs by the shops on Melbourne Avenue (next to the big tower block), which is about a 5 minute walk from the ground.

AdmissionAdmission Prices

Group Price
(65+ / Students)
Young Adults
(11 and under)
(2 adults, 2 children)



Immediately after entering the ground, turn right and head towards the club house. The bar is inside here, along with one set of toilets, plenty of seating and a large-screen TV which often shows live football matches before the game kicks off. Access to the upstairs is also through here.


The burger van is situated just outside the clubhouse. They offer a fantastic selection of hot food including burgers, hot dogs and chips as well as chocolate bars, hot and cold drinks.


There are 3 sets of toilets at the ground. There are some inside the club house, some between the club house and the main stand and some to the left after coming in, towards the athletics centre side of the ground.


There is only one area in the ground in which you are allowed to smoke: the bricked area directly outside the clubhouse.

Watching the gameSpectating

There is standing behind both goals and along the fence at each side of the pitch. Seating can be found primarily in the main stand (no extra charge to sit) or along the far side in front of the athletics centre.

Following the game

If you are unable to make the game, there are two great ways to follow the match.

Radio ClaretsRadio Clarets

A free radio broadcast is available at all home and away games (where possible) and can be accessed via the Mixlr website or mobile app.

Radio Clarets


The club's official Twitter account also provides live match commentary for home and away games and can be found @OfficialClarets



The following information is taken from the official club website.

The original amateur Chelmsford club originated in the County town in 1878 and moved to their New Writtle Street ground in 1922, however, when that club folded after sixty years the present club was formed as a professional side in 1938. Immediately, they were admitted to the Southern League as one of five new sides who increased the membership to twenty-three.

Under the leadership of Billy Walker they quickly made their mark and in that first season reached the fourth round of the FA Cup after knocking out both Darlington and Southampton before going out to Birmingham City at St Andrew's in front of 44,494 fans, but their league form suffered and they finished in tenth place.

The outbreak of war meant that football was severely curtailed, however, in the Southern League's only war time season in 1939/40 Chelmsford won the Eastern Section and drew the play-off with the Western Section winners Lovells Athletic. In that season City also reached the final of the League Cup where they lost both legs to Worcester City.

The club were quick to reform and under Arthur Rowe, who was later to rise to fame with Tottenham Hotspur, they won the championship in season 1945/46, pipping Hereford United to the title. City went on to complete a famous double by winning the League Cup and gaining revenge against Worcester City, thumping them 6-1 at New Writtle Street after a 3-3 away draw.

In 1955 the club are forced to appeal to the public to raise the funds that were to keep them alive. The two sides met again in the 1960 final when Chelmsford again ran out victors winning both legs by two goals to one. However, it was to be thirty years before they again lifted the trophy when Hythe Town were overcome 5-3 on aggregate in 1991.

In the FA Cup the early success was not repeated but in 1967 Oxford United were defeated albeit by a lone goal at the third attempt after two 3-3 draws in the First Round Proper. After the Oxford victory, City were defeated at home in the Second Round by Colchester United in front of a crowd of well over 16,000 and in the 1970s they got to the Rounds Proper on several occasions, invariably going out to League opposition.

In 1972/73 City almost recreated the successful F.A. Cup run of the Thirties. A series of home draws enabled The Clarets to dispose of Hillingdon Borough (2-0) and Telford United (5-0) before Ipswich Town were entertained at New Writtle Street. 15,557 spectators saw the tie which the visitors won by three goals to one.

The Southern League title did not return to New Writtle Street until 1968 but was then repeated four years later, however, there then followed a steady decline in City's fortunes and their first ever relegation came in 1977 despite having a side which included a budding Nigel Spink in goal and a not so young Jimmy Greaves in attack.

There was not another appearance in the competition proper until 1994 when they went out to Wycombe Wanderers (0-4), again reaching that stage in 1999/2000 before losing by the same scoreline at Oldham Athletic's Boundary Park and later going out to Aldershot Town after a replay in 2006.

The idea of using The Stadium for greyhound racing was soon diffused when the Council demanded alterations to be made to the ground to meet safety standards, costs which were far more than City would have earned in the long run. In 1974 a £500,000 re-development of The Stadium to include 8,500 square feet of offices was then rejected by Council planners.

The following year plans to include squash courts at the ground were also thrown out as City were desperately seeking money to ease their financial crisis. City reclaimed a place in the Premier Division as a consequence of the re-organisations which followed the formation of the Alliance (now the Conference) League and in 1986 they were almost elevated to join that elite group but finished as Runners-Up behind Welling United.

The Eighties saw another Cup run as City twice met Gillingham away, with the results being 6-1 and 2-0. Relegation returned in 1988 but their stay in the Southern Division was short-lived and they were promoted back as champions a year later. In 1993 a supporters' group, led by Trevor Wright, stepped in to take over the club at the last minute following the resignation of Dennis Wakeling due to a fruitless High Court battle which effectively left Chelmsford City without a future.

Subsequent life in the Premier Division became uncomfortable and after just avoiding the drop in four consecutive seasons City finished bottom in 1997, despite remaining one of the best-supported sides both home and away. Since August 1997, the club's history has taken further new twists but none so major as the loss of the famous old New Writtle Street ground which was sold by the official receiver.

Help, in the form of ground sharing arrangements, came from Chelmsford's neighbours Maldon Town and subsequently at Billericay Town both ten miles out of Chelmsford. In May 1998, City thought that they had achieved their immediate ambition of a return to the Premier Division when they finished second to Weymouth. However, a seating technicality meant promotion was refused.

This was especially frustrating as hosts Billericay were promoted to the Premier Division of the adjacent Ryman League with no such problems. In April 2000, however, New Lodge finally received an 'A' grading from the Dr Marten's League that would allow promotion to the Premier Division. A constant push for a return to the Premier Division finally bore fruit in 2000/01 and Chelmsford then spent most of the next season consolidating in mid-table, until a late slump in form saw them finish one place above the drop zone.

A reversal of that end-of-season form the following year saw them finish a very respectable ninth, while a rare piece of silverware came City’s way that March when they lifted the Essex Senior Cup for the first time in a decade after hammering Aveley by a 5-0 margin at Southend United’s Roots Hall ground.

Paul Parker's departure as Manager at the end of that season led to his replacement by former player Steve Mosely, who endured some of the most difficult years of the club's exile, missing out on a place in the new Conference South set-up in a play-off final at Tiverton Town. He was eventually succeeded by Craig Edwards as boss, who injected life back into the squad with his brand of hard-working players who had performed well for him at previous clubs.

Edwards was proud to lead the Clarets out in their first game back in Chelmsford at a reformed Melbourne Community Stadium where a capacity crowd on 2nd January 2006 saw the culmination of the club's toil to secure a home under the chairmanship of Paul Hopkins, a loyal Board of Directors, and with the assistance of the Council.

From that point the Clarets have gone from strength-to-strength and consolidation in the top half of the Ryman League Premier Division during that campaign was followed by the arrival of former Canvey Island supremo Jeff King as Manager for the start of 2006/07. King brought a number of his talented players and backroom staff with him from Canvey, a club who had emerged from the Essex Senior League to establish themselves at the top level of non-league football.

His side just missed-out on promotion via the play-offs in his first season but the Ryman League championship was secured second time around in comfortable fashion after overcoming a challenge from AFC Wimbledon. At this stage Peter Webb had become the new Chairman at Melbourne and, despite racing to a commanding lead by the New Year in their first Blue Square South season, Chelmsford fell away and succumbed in the play-offs once more, this time to Hampton & Richmond Borough. They did, however, secure another Essex Senior Cup crown.

2009/10 saw the club take stock of its position, place an even higher value on youth and community work within the Borough and, with new Chairman Mansell Wallace and his Board were keen to progress and appointed Glenn Pennyfather in charge of First Team activities. Several flirtations with the play-offs proved exciting and frustrating in equal measure, but there have been plenty of positives from each campaign.

In November 2012 Colchester United were beaten 3-1 in an F.A. Cup first round tie, the first time the Club had beaten a Football League side since 1967. Although the Club lost at Crawley Town in the second round it was the second season in a row that that particular round had been reached.

Glenn Pennyfather left the Club in the summer of 2013 with Dean Holdsworth appointed to replace him. Unfortunately the former Newport County Manager did not have a successful time at the Melbourne Community Stadium and he left after less than three months of the 2013-2104 season. Mark Hawkes was appointed to replace him having previously been in charge at Heybridge Swifts. Having qualified for the play offs in four of the Club’s first five years in what is now the National League South the subsequent three seasons saw the Club finish in a mid table position.

The arrival of Rod Stringer as manager in the summer of 2016 brought about renewed hope for the fans of Chelmsford City football club. Stringer, who had enjoyed great success in this league with Braintree Town, assembled a squad that most National League sides would've been envious of. The Clarets returned to the play-offs in the 2016-17 season, getting as far as the final where, despite leading 1-0 against 10 men at half time, they went on to lose 2-1 to Ebbsfleet United.

Much of that season's squad went on to bigger and better things, with Shamir Mullings moving to National League champions Forest Green Rovers at Christmas, Josh Rees heading to Bromley, Ross Fitzsimons moving to Notts County and Robbie Willmott returning to Newport County.

The Future...

Following an unsuccesful and almost disastorous takeover attempt last season, Chelmsford City Football Club are currently undergoing another bid, this time from Betsi Ltd, the company who manages the Chelmsford City Racecourse near Great Leighs. Whilst the process has, once again, been going on for some time, prospects are much brighter this time and the fans and club alike are hopeful for a better future once everything is complete.

Chelmsford City fans dream of a future that includes a dedicated stadium, financial stability and a committed board to help drive the club forwards into the top step of non-league football.


You can find a full and up-to-date squad list here.

View Players


You can find a full list of fixtures and results here.

View Matches